Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kerry Greenwood - Earthly Delights

I had heard of Kerry Greenwood and her popular Phyrne Fisher series but had never read any of her books. Earthly Delights is the first novel that I've read from her and it was a delightful book. I had no expectations whatsoever when I started reading and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Corinna Chapman is a refreshing protagonist -- a full-figured leading lady, accepting of herself and takes crap from nobody. And she does all this with a wicked sense of humour. There is also a great supporting cast of characters, like the dominatrix, Miss Dread; Meroe, your friendly neighbourhood witch; and especially the divine Daniel, who sounds positively gorgeous and very swoon-worthy. I was hoping for more sparks between Corinna and Daniel, but alas, there wasn't much happening but I expect the relationship will develop further in the next book. Oh, and I didn't mind the cats either as they were very entertaining in their own right. I wished that Corinna was more of a dog person but I must admit the only dog to feature in the book was one of those little annoying yappy ones, not endearing even to a dog lover. I'm still not a hundred per cent sure about the Phryne Fisher series as the 1920s setting in Melbourne doesn't quite fully appeal to me, but I will be sure to read the follow-up to Earthly Delights and try to track down the other books in the series.

1 comments :

  1. Sally_Odgers said...

    I'm just "reading" Devil's Food on audiobook. Corinna is very different from Phryne, but the book is fun, so far.