Friday, June 13, 2008

Lynne Truss - Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

I lurrrrveee Ms. Truss! So, I won't profess to be an expert on punctuation as Lynne Truss would be, and I'm sure I've messed up the use of a semicolon in my time. What I am at least completely sure of are the basics: you will NEVER find me screwing up 'it's' vs. 'its'; 'your' vs. 'you're'; or getting plurals wrong. For that matter of fact, the same goes with they're/their/there -- but that's a different story altogether. Oh, how I rejoiced when I read this book. Finally, someone else who feels the same way that I do, that this is something extremely easy to grasp, and always irks the hell out of me when I spot such errors, especially when I see these mistakes in the papers. You would think journalists would be able to get this right?! This had me cackling away: "If you still persist in writing, "Good food at it's best", you deserve to be struck by lightning, hacked up on the spot and buried in an unmarked grave." My reaction isn't that extreme but I do admit to throwing my hands up in the air sometimes and wonder how people can stuff up something so simple. While it can get a bit dreary at times (I don't really care much about the history) but overall, it's a witty little book that I enjoyed immensely. Who would have thought a book about punctuation could be so full of humour? If you're a stickler for punctuation like me, you will definitely have a laugh reading this book; if you need some help, then this will set you in the right direction. As Lynne Truss would say, sticklers unite! :)

0 comments :