Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Angela Carter - The Bloody Chamber

This is a collection of fairy tales that most people would be familiar with, but don't be fooled into thinking this is your usual Disney fare. These traditional stories have been retold with Carter's own dark and unique take on them, and she infuses them with eroticism and violence -- you definitely won't find bluebirds bursting into merry song here. I can see why The Bloody Chamber is studied extensively in literature courses as these stories are full of symbolism and cultural references. This was a very evocative and rewarding read, and I'm sure each subsequent reading will reveal more to the reader (I really feel I ought to be studying this!). My favourites from this collection were: The Bloody Chamber; The Snow Child; and The Werewolf.

0 comments :