Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Michael Chabon - Summerland

I so wanted to get into this book and enjoy it but I just couldn't. The premise sounded great and right up my alley: magic worlds; supernatural creatures; underdog kid who saves the world. All great things, except for one thing. Baseball. It's not the first time that I've read a book that featured a sport that I'm not particularly into; The Art of Racing in the Rain holds that honour. However, while I could appreciate the racing aspects of that novel even though I couldn't care less about cars going round and round on a track, this was not the same for Summerland. For me, the baseball bits just bogged down the story and I just could not settle into it. After I tried for a few days, I decided to drop it when I reached page 110. I probably would have enjoyed it if I had made it to the end; I just didn't want to push myself anymore. Back to the library this goes!

0 comments :