Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Alan Moore - Watchmen

Oh dear... I have been extremely slack with updating this blog with my latest reads. This goes back quite a few months now! Oh well, better late than never, I suppose!

I borrowed Watchmen from the library before the movie was released as I wanted the opportunity to read the graphic novel before watching the film version. It was a good thing that I did because Watchmen was incredibly complex and it would be impossible to capture everything in the movie, although I did think the movie did a decent job. For people who brush off the comic medium as kids' stuff, this one certainly ain't for the kiddies. The novel was very dark and gritty, reflecting the turbulent times in the world at the time of its publication. Even though it was published in the 80s, the material did not feel dated. Watchmen probably won't be everyone's cup of tea (it did get a bit much for me at times) but it was certainly very interesting and thought-provoking - definitely worth a look for someone interested in exploring the comics genre.

0 comments :